The Philadelphia Rose Society serves Philadelphia, Bucks and Montgomery Counties. The Philadelphia Rose Society is an affiliate of the American Rose Society.
Our founding members were Kathryn and Clarence Alexander who wrote to the American Rose Society asking if they could start a Rose Society in the Philadelphia area in 1947. The first President of Philadelphia Rose Society was Dr. James A Gamble.The original Constitution and By-Laws were approved December 11, 1952. They were revised and adopted by the Society on December 4, 1988.
Here are the By Laws of the Philadelphia Rose Society. PRS Bylaws 2002
This is from an article from September/October, 1947 ARS magazine:
Under the sponsorship of the Philadelphia Rose Society, the Home Gardeners’ June Rose Festival was held in Gimbel Brothers store on June 11 & 12 (*1947) with over 35,000 people attending. Participating in the festival were general garden and plant life groups, private clubs, a department store, public rose gardens, private gardens, arboretums, commercial firms, schools, colleges and universities, representing three states and over 25 communities.
Of the 200 rose varieties listed, over 6500 blooms were exhibited for which 150 awards were given. One person displayed 1000 roses of his own growing. The festival was staged in all details by housewives who are amateur rose growers and who had never managed any such showing before.
At the June 12 meeting, Dr. R.C. Allen, Secretary of the American Rose Society and later became President of ARS, presented a lecture, “Modern Trends in Rose Growing”which was greatly appreciated by everyone.
This was submitted by F.N.Price Supplee, Vice President, Philadelphia Rose Society
The Philadelphia Rose Society held a National Convention in 1959 when Robert H. Kraeger Sr was President of PRS.
The Philadelphia Rose Society and the Delaware County Rose Society were co-hosts of a National Rose Show and Convention on September 14,15, 16, & 17th, 1967 at the Benjamin Franklyn Hotel in Philadelphia PA when Daniel R. Long was President of PRS.
This is from the Delaware County Times: